Position Title: Communications Specialist (Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy)
Position Location: Washington, DC
About Us: The Hannon Group works to uplift people across the country with communications that transform lives. Our mission is to provide solutions, products, and services that support initiatives that improve the lives of Americans each day. We use optimum communications and market research to engage, inspire, and mobilize individuals. We work as a team in a way that provides outstanding client support while enabling our employees to thrive and grow. Our services include strategic communications; quantitative and qualitative research design, data collection, data analysis, and reporting; social and digital media, media relations, and advertising; special events; partnership building and community relations; multicultural marketing; social marketing; and skills building training. For more information on our company and services, please visit our website at www.thehannongroup.com.
Summary: The Hannon Group is seeking a Communications Specialist with 3-9 years of work experience to plan and implement communications and outreach activities in support of the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE). A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English, Sustainability, or related field is required; Master’s degree a plus. Related work experience, including experience supporting clean energy programs, is required.
Qualifications include management skills, experience with strategic communications planning, superior writing and editing skills, ability to convey technical and complex concepts for a variety of audiences, basic research and analysis skills, desktop publishing skills. Candidate must be proactive, and able to prioritize and respond to tight deadlines.
Responsibilities: Candidate will assist in planning and implementing communications and outreach activities to promote the deployment of EERE technologies. Some key tasks include the following:
• Writing/Editing – Draft and copyedit a wide range of communication materials, conveying technical or detailed information in a clear and accessible manner to a range of technical and non-technical audiences. Examples of products include press releases, newsletter articles, blog posts, social media posts, website content, fact sheets, success stories, presentations, and talking points. Keen attention to detail, professional writing style, consistency, and ability to produce error-free work are a must.
• Web and Media –Help manage client’s social media presence by posting to accounts, tracking and analyzing statistics, and creating strategies that will increase number of followers. Assist with answering to media inquiries, track media hits, compile clips, and facilitate interviews.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English, Sustainability, or related field; Master’s degree a plus
- Experience in clean energy field required
- 3-9 years related experience in communications, public relations, or technical writing and editing
- Ability to lead communications and outreach efforts
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent Microsoft Word skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong project management and time management skills
- Experience with Web communications, HTML, and social media a plus
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks, and deliver results under tight deadlines
- Ability to convey technical and complex concepts for a variety of audiences
- Ability to learn multiple style guides to produce, review, and revise client documents
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to work both individually and in a team environment
To Apply: To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to Josh Logelin (email@example.com). Please include your salary requirement in the cover letter.